Network access

V/Line Third Party Access provide expert railway assistance and support to the public who are planning activities on or near the railway.

Working by the railway?

The rail network is divided into several geographical routes and includes passenger lines and freight lines.

If you are planning on doing any work near the railway, please contact our Third-Party Access team who are your gateway to supporting you in delivering your work safely.

Working near the railway can be a dangerous environment and we are able to help you navigate the risks. V/line is committed to safety, so we want to help you deliver your works safely and securely.

To help you achieve your time frames please contact us as early as possible in your planning process, this will enable us to best support you in delivering successfully.

The Third-Party Access team can help you with a multitude of works including:

  • construction sites near the railway;
  • utility works (water, electric, gas, cabling etc.);
  • radio transmitters;
  • bridge works;
  • new road schemes;
  • inspection and surveying; and
  • works within the designated precautionary area of level crossings.

Third Party Access teams do not deal with emergency works. For emergencies, please contact 1800 023 668

Accessing V/Line land

Requesting access

Before submitting a Third Party Access application, please ensure to have read and understood our Site Access Guide.

If any works that involve amending / installing assets (including Non-Destructive-Digging) on V/Line Leased Land, approval from VicTrack (land owners) need to be sought prior to applying for access to V/Line.

All submitted applications must comply with Australian and V/Line standards before a Site Access Permit can be issued for access to our network.

Types of access

  • Non-disruptive access: a minimum of 28 business days notification is required to process an application that does not affect train services.
  • Disruptive access: a minimum of 90 days is required for access that disrupts train services.


Holders of a valid Site Access Permit (SAP) are able to access V/Line land.

Application process

The steps required in the application process depends on the nature of your request. 

What is the nature of your request?

Works Readiness Procedure

Please answer the questions below to see if the Works Readiness procedure applies to your access request.

1. Are the works disruptive to either scheduled passenger or freight services?

2. Will there be a configuration change to the rail network? Will planned works alter operational railway assets or bring into service new operational railway assets?

3. Does the work include commissioning of, or bringing into service, any new railway network asset that integrates with the operating rail system?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you must follow and complete the T- Minus and works readiness procedure outlined in the document links below.

Complete your access request

To request access to V/Line land for any activities, please fill out the form by clicking the link below.

More information

For more information about what's required to obtain access on the V/Line network, please download the guide below.

V/Line site access guide
PDF 735kB
Third parties completing under track bores and excavating on V/Line leased land
PDF 421kB

For further information please email